Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sofa Makeover Project

My sofa is very old and not in the best shape, although I will defend it by saying it is extremely comfortable. This is what it looks like:
 We usually just covered it with a blanket to keep from seeing the rips and wrinkles in the fabric. As we are working to get out of debt, the last thing we want to do is buy a new sofa, especially since this one is so comfortable. So I decided to start a Sofa Makeover Project.
First, I bought several king-size bedsheets in a pretty dark red and I make a slipcover. I made it using large 1" round snaps to make the shape I wanted. Before long, I had a soft, washable, and easily removable sofa cover. 
Next I wanted to makeover the mismatch of throw pillows we had allocated from our mothers. I went to the local fabric store and bought a few different calico prints to cover the pillows. I went from having 1 white pillow, 1 red corduroy pillow, and 1 multi-color pillow to having 3 pretty calico pillows: 
The two pillows in the back of this picture I sewed by hand, and the front pillow was my first project with my new sewing machine. I found the tutorial to make it here

One more photo because I am quite proud of this pillow 
We had one throw pillow from my mother-in-law that still worked color-wise, so I didn't cover that one. 
Now I have a new sofa-cover and 4 matching throw pillows.
It is not perfect, but it will work to hold us over until the time when we can afford something else.

1 comment:

  1. Great Job! It looks great and the pillow is really cute:)



I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!