Thursday, September 1, 2011

Ashamed

Ok, I'm just going to say it: I'm ashamed of myself. In fact, I didn't even know if I wanted to share this, but I guess I will share both my triumphs and my downfalls.
My husband and I have been waiting a few weeks for our deposit refund check to come in the mail. The company which owned our old apartment live in New York, so we waited patiently for our check to arrive from there. I opened it after it arrived and got a big smile on my face. I showed the check to my husband and it was for $30 more than we were owed.
$30 for free!!!
Normally, I always return money if it was given to me in error. I will count my change at the store and return any extra that is given to me. I didn't earn the money, so why should I cheat someone else?
For some reason, I didn't think that way when I saw that check. 30 extra dollars seemed like a gift! I could buy 2 bags of clothes at Goodwill with that money!
But my husband saw the check and immediately said what I should have: "I'll take this back to the apartment office tomorrow and tell them there has been a mistake."
... :(
Of course he was right. I was immediately ashamed that I hadn't even thought of returning the check. I was actually getting excited over cheating someone $30.
I am so proud of my husband for doing the right thing. He has been a believer for only a short time, and already he is serving as a great Christian partner and leader.
So there it is, I'm ashamed. I am so happy to have a wonderful husband, to remind me when I've fallen and help guide my path.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to this. Last year my husband and I were walking through a shopping center and we saw a $50 note on the ground. My husband picked it up and asked if I thought we should hand it in at information, my not so spiritual reply was something to the effect of "people don't go to information looking for lost money because no one ever hands it in". My husband did the right thing, handed in the cash and about 3 months later received a call from the shopping center saying no one had claimed it so it was his to collect. It pays to do the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!