Friday, January 27, 2012

A day in Jeans

I wrote in a previous post about how I have made the switch to more modest clothing. For me, that also meant I switched, for the most part, to wearing skirts.

Don’t get me wrong, I do not think that wearing pants is “bad”. I also believe that when people point to Deuteronomy 22:5 (The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.) and say that it means women should not wear pants, it is a big stretch. Men in biblical times did not wear “pants” but rather robes and “Dress-like” clothing. I believe this verse is saying women need to dress like women and men need to dress like men. We need to look distinct and express our femininity in what we wear. We also know from my previous post on modesty that women and men should both seek to dress modestly and bring attention to their character, which should be a reflection of Christ. 

Ok, now that I have said all of that, I will tell you that I have worn pants maybe 4 times in the last 6 months. I wore jeans to go hiking in October. I also wore loose black pants with my suit jacket to a few meetings. But for the most part, I’ve stayed away from jeans and pants all-together and wore only skirts and fleece-lined tights all winter. 

That is, until yesterday. For some reason, I decided to wear jeans to work on Thursday. Part of me just wanted to see how it would feel to wear jeans after months of wearing skirts. I chose my most modest pair (a little more high-waisted and not too tight) and went to work.

I was shocked to find my jeans are not as comfortable as I thought. Jeans have to fit just right or else there are little pinches or pudges. They also bunch under my knees when I sit. Ick! I was self-conscious all day. I used to find jeans so comfortable, but I couldn't wait to get back into my skirts!

When I started wearing skirts, it was very uncomfortable for me. You always have to sit “properly” and be aware of how the skirt is laying. They also pack terribly, and I was frustrated with having to iron or tumble my skirts in the drier everywhere I went. Now, I am used to skirts and enjoy wearing them. They are also SO much more comfortable than jeans, and also look nicer.


I got 1 comment from a co-worker, saying "oh wow, you're wearing pants!". Then my husband saw me in my jeans in the evening and got this little frown between his eyebrows. He likes my decision to wear mostly skirts. I find this so interesting, since he grew up like many American boys, chasing girls in sexy clothes. Now, he says that he finds my jeans too provocative. He likes how lady-like and modest I look in skirts.


So there it is, my day in jeans. I doubt another day like this will happen for a while. I will continue to wear jeans when it is practical, like on moving day or painting day. But I think my switch to skirts is becoming more permanent by the day.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I haven't made the swith as completely as you have but between march until November I would say I wear skirts 95% of the time. I've appreciAted your posts on wearing skirts in colder wearer because that's something I've struggled with more. I def notice a change when I switch back to jeans. Not only are they less comfortable but I really love the feminine feeling that comes with skirts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been close to two years that I've worn skirts full-time now and I've noticed the same things as you when I wear pants. I'm uncomfortable and very aware of my body.
    Also, as a mother who, while weighing the same as before babies in between pregnancies, carries the weight in different places now and is just generally less toned, I am now aware that skirts are just way more flattering to the constantly changing figure. I had a photo taken of me in jeans on a camping trip after Eli was born and I was shocked by how unflattering jeans are to the less-than-perfect figure. I think that was the last time I wore jeans apart from moving house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story sounds so similar to mine. I tried to wear a pair of jeans the other day after 9 months of skirts and I was very uncomfortable. Which surprised me because I had never been uncomfortable in pants before. I find that I carry myself more lady-like in skirts and I am not self-conscious of my shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! I switched to wearing skirts a bit ago, and when I tried on my jeans after a few months of wearing them, they were uncomfortable! And tight! And they were my MODEST jeans. So, yes. I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!