Monday, July 8, 2013

Quote of the Week

I often remind myself that many of the things I spend my time and energy on really don't matter all that much. I try to keep perspective on what is truly important, and for me those are the big things in life. Like following after God with all my heart, like serving Him and my husband, and being obedient to God's ways. A lot of the other things just don't really matter.

I love this quote because it runs completely contrary to what many in our society today tell us. We hear constantly about how important it is to find yourself. For many of us, we will end up puzzled by such a statement, because in the life of a Christian, life is about surrendering ourselves to the will of God, not to our own selfish hearts. The life of a Christian is about what Matthew 16:24-25 says:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

This shows us that an all-knowing God, who understands us more than we will every understand ourselves, says the key to life is dying to ourselves and taking up Christ's cross. God created each and every one of us with talents not to serve ourselves, but to serve Him. It is so difficult in our culture not to soak up some of the self-centeredness that we hear, but I encourage you friends to preach the truth to yourselves. Every day die a little more to yourself and live a little more for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!