Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Home Built for Guests

My husband and I have been following Jim Sammon's Financial Freedom seminar for several months now. This Bible-based seminar is completely life-changing, and deals with a lot of our lifestyle choices and attitudes which can lead to bad financial decisions.

One of the chapters talks about bringing areas of your life back into your home. For example, it talks about bringing education, particularly young education into the home. Another area was fellowship.

Fellowship can be had just about anywhere, but there is an intimacy that takes place when you invite people into your home. 1 Peter 4:9 says:

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

We as Christians need to gladly welcome others into our homes. Our attitudes, and our homes, need to reflect that welcome.

My husband and I realized that the spirit of this verse, and others which the seminar points out, is that the home should be a place of love and fellowship. Guests should feel welcome, and we should take it as an opportunity to serve when we have others in our home. It should also be a place where others who are maybe not believers can experience an atmosphere of Christ's love.  

We realized this while we were living in a small 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment. Our families visited, but not very often because they knew it meant sleeping on an air mattress in our living room. We realized we needed to invite people over for fellowship in the evenings, and that we also needed a place in our home for friends and family to stay when they come to visit. I wanted a place where guests could feel like they are not an inconvenience, and that we actually have room for them!

We moved to our new 3 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment just a few weeks ago and the first room I finished preparing was our guest room.


Now we have a place for others to stay so that they can feel encouraged to visit. I am so happy that my home is now better suited to be a place of fellowship, and it is a restful and comfortable place to visit.

And, as always, I did everything on a budget! Everything in the room is second-hand or a gift. The small dresser/nightstand was only $18 at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store. The bookshelf holds photos and trinkets from my travels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!