Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mom's Chili

My mom makes the best chili. I am sure everyone says that about their own mothers, as something about mom's cooking, no matter how good or bad, brings a sense of comfort and well-being.

My mom is a good cook, but a simple cook. She doesn't make complicated meals, but everything she makes tastes good and makes everyone happy. One of my favorite meals is her chili. To this day, I have never had chili that I like as much as hers, and now I make it for my husband quite often.

So here is the recipe. I just made a big pot tonight. A nice big pot of it doesn't cost much to make (between $10-$15) and will serve us both many times this week.

Mom's Chili
1lb lean ground beef
1lb stew meat (cut into bite-sized pieces)
1/2 red onion
1 large can hot Brook's chili beans (be sure to use this brand, as it is the key to good flavor!)
1 small can milk Brook's chili beans
1 can kidney beans
2 cans chili flavored dices tomatoes
1/2 chili spice packet
garlic (I use minced)
pepper

Cook the meats on high heat to retain moisture. Chop the onion and add it to the ground beef while cooking. Drain meats and add to a large pot. Turn heat on medium and add garlic to the meats. Add the entire cans of Brook's beans (without draining), but be sure to drain kidney beans before adding them. Add diced tomatoes, half of a chili spice packet, and some pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes. Serve with corn bread.

This chili is so easy to make, and is quite mild, despite all the "hot" labels on the ingredients. If we prefer it to be hotter, add the entire chili seasoning packet and some chilis if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!