Monday, April 22, 2013

Quote of the Week: Contentment





There are many of us that are willing to do great things for the Lord, but few of us are willing to do little things. -- D.L. Moody

I am very involved with a global community service organization, for which I am a coordinator for one of their youth programs. This last weekend I was at a conference for this organization and was so encouraged and blown away by the stories of what this organization is striving for: bringing medical devices to poorer areas in central America, eradicating terrible diseases, building wells, educating and giving opportunities to youth, etc. 

Of course it feels good to be a part of something that is so globally impactful, which really changes lives. But one word that has really been weighing on my mind lately has been contentment. It is so difficult to learn to be content where God puts you. Not all of us are meant to track through the amazon, or nurse dying babies to health, but we are all given a place on this earth and a purpose. Our purpose, that of serving the Lord and making disciples for him, may not ever bring us recognition, and for most of us, it will not bring grandeur.

I believe that contentment is probably the most difficult thing that God has called us to be. Especially in a world which calls women to be more than mere mothers and wives. Societal discontentment with the basic and foundational things in life slips its way into our minds and sometimes causes discontentment with the calling to first and foremost be disciples of Christ, wives to our husbands, and mothers to our children.

Many of your have probably heard this verse:

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, to be content. Phillipians 4:11

To which we all think "that's great Paul, but easier said than done". Barnes' Notes on the Bible comments that it is important to note that Paul's contentment was LEARNED. It is not a state of being or something he are born with, but something he learn through practice and preaching to himself. Through prayer and the blessing of the Holy Spirit.

I want to encourage all of you to spend the next week praying about contentment in your lives, as I will be doing the same

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I really needed it this week. I am older than you, but you always seem to inspire me to better a better Christian, wife, and mother. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post, Amy Joy.Lately, the Lord seems to be reminding me to learn more of being content.
    I saw your comment at Our Homestead For Him, and decided to stop by for a visit. I'm your newest follower and look forward to getting to know you better. :)
    Hope you're having a wonderful Lord's Day.
    ~Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!