Friday, October 3, 2014

Post-partum fitness progress

Well friends, you may remember me outlining some of my fitness goals back a few months ago, and I am proud to say I have accomplished several of those goals

As a reminder, these were my long-term goals:
-Lose 21 pounds --- (remaining pregnancy weight + additional 5 pounds I gained after miscarriage)
-Get my wedding ring back on
-Go to the gym at least 3 times per week every week
-Go to Body Pump class for the first time
-Do 25 regular push-ups every day
-Do 30 lunges on each leg every day
-Do 100 squats every day

So far I have:
-Lost at least 6 pounds the last time I checked. Perhaps I've lost more, but I can finally wear my one pair of pre-pregnancy jeans and most of my pre-pregnancy skirts are starting to feel less like I'm squeezing into a straightjacket. I still have about 15 pounds to go.

-I got my wedding ring back on!!!!!
It was baffling to me that it took so long to get back on, especially considering I was wearing it until the last month of pregnancy, when summer swelling set in. Just don't ask me to try to get it off....

-I am now going to the gym 3 times per week. I started off going twice per week, but am now going Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Mondays I will be doing regular cardio and weight lifting but Wednesdays and Saturdays I will be going to Body Pump classes. Which brings me to my next big accomplishment........

-I went to my first Body Pump class!
And here I am in all my sweaty glory (and praise God for forgiving lights and fuzzy photos that don't show you the extent of said sweat). I went yesterday to my first class. I will admit, I was terrified. But I knew I was out of excuses why I shouldn't go. So I went, annnnnd

LOVED IT!

It was honestly 10x better than I thought it would be. It also helped boost my confidence because I was able to make it through all the moves, so I am not as out of shape as I thought I was. I also loved that I was surrounded by a huge variety of people: old, young, female, male, moms, college kids, etc. It was wonderful, and I am looking forward to going twice a week.

That said, I am CRAZY sore. Soreness doesn't work well for a mama who wears her baby for part of the day while cleaning

Which gives me the perfect opportunity to share a cute baby-wearing photo from this week
Apparently I'm really into the selfie thing this week.....

Now it is just about getting stronger and building up the the amount of push-ups, squats, and lunges I'd like to do every day. I've still got a ways to go on that, but I'm getting there.

What are some of your fitness goals? Have you ever tried a group fitness class, or are you intimidated by them like I was/am?


1 comment:

  1. Well done! Does your day have more than 24 hours? It's only that I barely manage to take care of my baby and keep the home in some semblance of order and here you are doing all that, blogging, *and* going to the gym! ;) I think you're doing great at this motherhood thing. And Victoria is adorable, as usually - that smile!

    ReplyDelete

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!