Monday, December 19, 2011

Quote of the Week

For the Christian, heaven is where Jesus is. We do not need to speculate on what heaven will be like. It is enough to know that we will be forever with him. --William Barclay

I'm not sure if any of you had seen the stories or read the books about people who die for a period and come back with stories about what heaven is like. Now I am not one to discredit anyone; I have no idea if these people saw what they saw or not. However, what strikes me is the descriptions of heaven that came out of these experiences. I've heard descriptions of laughing children playing beside clear waters, glorious roads paved in gold, etc. However what I see missing in these descriptions is the awesomeness of God's glory.

My pastor talked once about heaven not being so much a place, as it is a presence. As in, the awesome presence of God. When we read the Bible and hear about people seeing glimpses of a veiled God and falling down into comas, I cannot imagine that in heaven we will be preoccupied with golden streets, laughing children, or 40 virgins (as Mulsims believe are waiting in heaven for every man).

I imagine heaven being a place so alight with God's presence that we will not care for anything other than worshiping him all the time for eternity. I told my husband once that if heaven is what I hope it is, I wouldn't care if I saw anyone I knew on Earth there, because God is going to be the awesome and sole focus of my eternal soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!