Monday, January 23, 2012

Quote of the Week


All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy. --C.S. Lewis

This is something I have been thinking a lot about in the last week: Happiness. We live in a society that takes for granted that happiness is the goal of life. If you are happy, all is right with the world. If you are happy, then what you are doing must be right. If you are unhappy, then you must flee from your current situation and find happiness.

I have never been one to buy into happiness as the end-all to everything. Don't get me wrong, being unhappy really stinks, and I have definitely been in those times of despair and wanted nothing better than to flee. But I feel that when we focus so much on happiness, we forget that life is a classroom. School is not always something happy, and that's ok. The goal of school is to learn and grow. In the same way, our trip through this world is not for our own purposes, but for Gods. He is to be glorified with our lives and everything we go through is supposed to reenforce and strengthen our bond with Him. Happiness is a wonderful by-product of that, and I can tell you I have never felt happier than when I am close to God.

However, happiness is not, and should never be, the goal of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to fellowship with others and hear what they have to say. I would ask, however, that you be mindful of what you write and try to be uplifting and respectful. Thank you for sharing!